View Single Post
      09-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boost View Post
Turns out that the freaking filter was the problem!!
To be quite honest, I didn't scrutinize the filter to see if it was symmetric, but installed the new one in the same position, which was with the letters at the bottom (and yes, p/n was the same). My guess is it shouldn't matter, but maybe it does. It's also possible you had the wrong filter; did you compare them? Were the holes at both sides the same size, meaning filter was seated properly at both ends? Finally, you have to push the filter a bit hard to seat it properly, although screwing the cap should do that for you. I honestly don't see how you can screw up the filter installation , other than deforming filter while being pushed down (either by hand or by the cap), but you'd have seen that after removal, and you can certainly feel it if done by hand. I'd try to get the filter replaced as 'defective' where you bought it. And the good news is nothing happens if filter is bad/defective/whatever, other than allowing some unfiltered oil into the engine, but for the first hundred miles after an oil change, it's a non-issue IMO.

As far as the noise, I can only think about the by-pass valve, but it's good to know a 'bad' oil filter can cause that. We all learned something new today, so thanks for the contribution . And don't get discouraged about working on your car man; it could have happened to a dealer too. At least you learned how to do an oil change right from your experience. Take care.
Appreciate 0