02-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #13
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
A. I have two sets of PFC01 brand new in box if you're going stock brakes and like initial bite. Also have titanium shims that I'll throw in if you're really willing to go oem brakes with ss lines. Heck I'll throw in solid guide pins and ss lines for the front of you're set on trying the oem setup. Castrol SRF or similar, t700, endless for fluid. You'll prob end up getting bbk though.

For you I would recommend just getting a bbk and jrz rs pro and seats and half cage and it's a pretty good car with just that.

Brakes see above
Suspension JRZ RS Pro / MCS 2-way - a bit more coin but dampening is superior, thus makes it more supple, suits the age comment lol
Wheels - get the newer Apex wheels, they are stronger. I bent my Arc8 on the first day but never had an off, just some hard jumping berms. SM10 or FL5, I think I'm going to swap for one of these wheels.
Definitely gonna pick your brain next time I see you P! I know you've been at it for a while with this car and want to understand what you have learned along the way and if you had to start all over again (with a stock car) how you would do it. Appreciate the offer on the brake parts...now I just need a car haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
Would recommend SRF Brake Fluid. Many on here would agree. Slightly pricier but less frequent changes.

I'll be at ACS on Sat, perhaps I will see you around!
Ok awesome. I'm leaning toward ACS (closer) but some friends are going Sunday. Two votes for SRF...must be good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
I'd like to see you try stock brakes with fresh track pads, SRF fluid, and see if people really need a bbk or ducts, etc. Would love to see your thoughts after trying it out.
Stock brakes are definitely the plan for now. Only issues is that I like to threshold brake and it does generate a lot of heat. Perhaps forcing myself to keep the stock brakes will make me better at brake management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Question that may help, how many track days per year are you targeting and how much street time? For example I track ~8-10 days/year and drive my car on the street maybe 4-6 days/month. I also to/from track events. I was originally trying to DD my car and I took it too far such that it wasn't comfortable enough as a DD anymore. Now that I have another DD I've gone even further on the more track-focused mods. I have a much better understanding of what is street-able and what's not having tried to balance it for awhile.

Here are my recommendations for a weekend warrior with a track focus, which is what I suspect you are after.

Brakes - There are two approaches that I like. If you really want to save money here, I would go for PFC DD v3 front rotors that work with the stock calipers. The main advantage is from the cooling that these high-vane-count rotors offer. Pair them with Castrol SRF fluid and track pads. You must use track pads and swap pads before/after events, it's the only answer, no hybrids. FWIW, Castrol SRF is the only fluid I use after having many experiences boiling other brands. For pads I love Pagid yellows, RS-29 fronts and RS-19 rears, they are great for the tires that you mention. Many folks also like Cobalt Friction, I haven't tried them yet but hear good things. Starting out like this will let you decide how deep into this you want to go and if you want to spend on something like the AP Racing kit that Essex offers at a later date. Phenomenal kit but maybe not where most folks would start out.

Suspension - If you want to lean track-focused I would go for Bilstein Clubsports - LINK. If you want softer springs and more of an in-between I would go for Bilstein PSS10, K&W, or Ohlins R&T. You can't really go wrong with any of these setups. I have MCS 2WNR's with 600/900 spring rates and while I love this setup at the track I consider it a bit much for the street. Track focused suspensions are noisier as well, just keep that in mind. The Bilstein Clubsports are probably the most extreme option that I've heard people say is still quiet on the street, I haven't tried them myself. Then this kit also comes with camber plates, if you get another setup that doesn't have them I would grab some Vorshlag camber plates. I run these and enjoy them.

Wheels - 18x10 et25 square Apex wheels are a great option - nt-01, re-71r, cup2 or similar tires are all great, square allows you to rotate and maximize tire life

For bushings and other items like that, a stock M3 is pretty good out of the box. I've started to replace some of these items, small gains per component to be had here. Your money is probably best spent on maximizing tires, brakes, suspension, and alignment, getting some track days in, and then addressing any areas of concern. For example, you might decide you want to move on to a larger BBK setup before addressing bushings and other items. Just my thoughts, everyone does it a little different.

I've enjoyed reading your posts in the past and am looking forward to hearing more this go round. Good luck with the car search and feel free to reach out with any questions!
Thanks very helpful! Good question - probably similar to you 8-10 track days a year, as a secondary track car. There are some tracks I just won't go to with my current track car like Big Willow or any track that is a long drive. The M3 will not see any daily driving but it must drive relatively comfortably to and from the track...and I might do some long distance events like NorCal or even COTA. That said with no rear seat I could easily fit track wheels/tires and tools and misc stuff. Love this aspect of the car.

Thx for the input about bushings. Good point. Also new question regarding coils vs springs on the stock ZCP suspension (I plan on getting a ZCP car), can springs be an adequate alternative? The biggest issue I had was massive body roll of the stock suspension. If there is a properly matched spring with the stock ZCP suspension then perhaps I could try that with a camber plate. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
If you really want to go for the minimal viable track mods then you just need track pads, high temp fluid (SRF is great), some decent 200TW tires like the Hankook RS4 on the stock wheels and camber plates so you don't destroy your front wheels. Start there, see how it goes and take it from there.
Thx I actually plan on doing do this exact thing for my first track day except I won't buy the camber plates since they might come with coils. So I would plan on maxing neg camber in the front (and rear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Or just rebuild same as the old car. Supercharge again lol
Haha no chance! That thing was heavy and with stock suspension and with all that weight up front was understeer-biased and leaned like a boat in the turns. I plan to make this one lighter than stock by removing anything possible and much more nimble with suspension focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i know its a "budget" build, but brakes are the worst part of the car. especially with anything more than street tires. everything else can come with time if you don't want to drop a bunch of coin right off the bat. i feel like they are essential, and other things can wait. that has pretty much been how i've been building all along. i might be one of the only track bro's on oem suspension for that reason....
So do you have springs at least? Body roll on stock suspension was pretty agonizing for me. Body roll isn't necessarily bad although in my experience didn't allow it to be sharp on the turn-in and wide sweepers were super painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Not in order but here is my suggestions. Now I am of the mindset why spend the money on something twice....and i have done that. If I had know what I know now here is what I would do:
1) Brakes (I consider this a safety item as well as performance): if you go ahead and go BBK your consumables will be less while initial expense is larger. On a OEM system and going fast you dont want to lose brakes from fade or exceeding the limits of them. you will go through rotors and pads alot more than with BBK. So it might pay for itself in consumable savings. I would go Front BBK. You can go Stoptech or AP Radi-Cal both good choices (AP would be my preferred). Pads are personal choice. Fluid I would go SRF.
2) Suspension: Well I had KW Clubsports and just couldnt stand that I couldnt get the support I needed. Motion Control has been great. I would stay with 2 ways Non remote. This will allow you to dial in the setting for street and track super easy from the top of the shock. MCS will get you right on spring rates. Just tell them and they will suggest
3) Seats and Harnesses: It will hold you in better make you be in touch with the car better. Half Cage here as well.....Safety.
4) Wheels: Bimmerworld Forged. Not much more than Apex for a forged wheel. Also they are on sale and free shipping right now....
5) Tires: NT01 great till they cord hard to beat for street tire.

Others things than this probably go out side the "budget" build.

just my thoughts
Great points. Agree with braking from a safety perspective. I will know asap if the stock brakes just aren't for me. But I really want to give them a chance. I've cooked brakes before and think I've learned some good lessons.

Hearing a lot of good things about MCS. I like 2-way option and sounds like they are custom ordered?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1