12-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post

Maintenance will be free for the lifetime of the lease.

135i gets around 19mpg combined.

M3 gets around 17.5-18mpg combined.

It's really not a big difference.

On other hand, the M3 is so much better of an automobile than a 135i in every way imaginable it is not even funny. If you get them for the same amount then why would anyone ever choose the 135i?

OP, compare TCO between M3 and 135i based on how long you plan to keep the car, miles driven per year, etc. Then go test drive both cars and you'll pick the M3 no matter what the numbers say.

Ignore the people who will say "if you cannot afford to pay cash for the car you cannot afford it." These people think an intelligent use of equity is purchasing a rapidly depreciating liability outright, so you can assume their financial advice is a bit suspect.
Just for the record, I did not say he must pay cash for it. I personally financed mine for 5 years. He asked for advice, so I gave it to him. I ran into the same dilemma before I purchased my M; I wanted a GT-R, which technically I could afford, but it would not have been a good financial decision.
You have a good point regarding the maintenance, but when it comes to gas, there is a big difference. My neighbor has a 135i, we make the same trip to work everyday, and I spend a lot more in gas than he does. For sure, I don't get 17's MPG.
Appreciate 0