09-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Hans,

I haven't driven the C63 as yet so this question might sound dumb to those who have or own one but how does it cope with the power it already has?

I just find it absurd to add another 90hp at the wheels without a proper LSD, and even then the torque is sure to take a jump as well. Are you just going to end up with a car which has a dancing ESP light every time you happen to be a little heavy of the old right foot, meaning all that hard work and money invested in the software mods being quelled by the traction control system until it's arrived at a speed which all of the beans can be used to the full (i.e. well above the speed limit).

What a waste if true.
There are a couple of ways to look at this.

In the semi-technical way of looking at it, this mod will add much more power than torque, and of course torque is what causes the drive wheels to do that scotch-tape-off-a-roll thing. Peak torque would of course climb a bit with this mod, but mainly the torque curve will not fall off nearly as steeply as with the stock motor, thus fleshing out the high rpm power.

The nature of the mod is such that everyday drivability will be absolutely unaffected, but full throttle will be even more of an eye-opener at high rpm.

The other way to look at it is the Mark Donohue way. You may remember this race driver's collaborative projects with Roger Penske in the late '60s and '70s. When Penske and Donahue began their collaboration with Porsche which eventually absolutely dominated the Can-Am series (kind of a run-what-you-brung venue with damn few rules), they were attempting to sort out some handling/aerodynamic/tire wear issues. During one of the tuning discussions, one of the Porsche engineers said something to the effect of "Well, at least we have enough power."

To which Donohue said something like: "Listen! Unless I can't use full throttle until I get to the last 100 feet of the longest straight we're ever going to run on, we don't have enough power!

Love it.

Bruce
Appreciate 0