View Single Post
      06-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Speed Cloth Pics

Well, I spent about an hour at McKenna BMW in Norwalk today checking out their Spark G sedan with speed cloth interior. I am not a sedan customer, but I wanted to see how the speed cloth looked in person and, more importantly, how it felt.

Here is my opinion (I will be as objective as possible): The speed cloth seats are outstanding. The cloth is high quality, feels exceptionally comfortable, looks very sporty, and appears to be very durable. I am going to do some further research about the actual fabric that is used to determine the comment on durability. I sat in an m3 with leather seats both before and after I sat in the speed cloth and this confirmed that speed cloth will be my choice. Not because the leather isn't great (because it is), but because the speed cloth fits my personal preferences a lot better. I was very surprised at how cushiony yet sturdy the speed cloth seats were. To me, the leather felt a bit less supportive.

There is a downside to speed cloth, though. I was definitely NOT impressed with the cloth sections in the door. BMW should have put Novillo leather there. Btw, the leather on the bolsters of the speed seats is definitely Novillo...so if you had doubts about that you can rest assured. I must have felt them both 10 times. Anyway, the cloth in the doors isn't necessarily ugly, but it is not my favorite. Leather would have been a better option. Still, I am more concerned with the seats and, to me, the cloth in the doors isn't enough to sway me away from speed.

Another semi-related observation was that the speed interior does NOT smell as good as the leather. When I went from the speed interior to the leather, I was overwhelmed with how good the Novillo smelled. While the speed smells good, the smell is definitely not as good or as prominent as the full leather...this is obviously understandable though.

I have attached a few pics (which I will also post in the speed cloth thread). I tried to represent the color as best as I could, but these pictures are very "whited out." IRL, the speed cloth looks very black and the pictures do not show this very well. In the pics the cloth looks very gray because of the flash on the camera. This is not the case. It is much darker in person. It blends with the Novillo leather much better than it looks like in the pictures.

Well, enough typing...hope you enjoy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0