Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
No doubt Rolf..... I haven't actually said it publicly yet because I was waiting for someone else to point that out, but I too laughed really hard when I saw that video.

When I clicked on the video I was hoping for some facts and figures, like stress loads, bearing clearances, states of lubrication occurring within on the bearings and their method of correcting these issues.

The video had no factual or useful information in it at all. Anyone who knows anything at all about engines knows that the video was a joke and didn't reveal anything. And furthermore, if the rod had seized onto the crankshaft the big end would have been extremely discoloured from the heat and it would mot have still been perfectly straight like that. To me it looks like the big end was simply unbolted from the crank after the failure!
It certainly had nothing whatsoever to do with lack lubrication as the video presenter likes us to believe. The more likely cause of the bearing uneven wear was a direct result of the rod / engine failure.

Further I find it hard to believe that a car/engine that has been tracked for it's performance and seen track time would not be operated responsible with the very basic eye on oil level and proper warming from cold starts to normal running / performance run exposure.

I think this has just been a engine mod gone bad ... for the video presenter to use the term "failures with some of those engines" is just not justifiable and puts the fear into people that are not as experienced about those issues as some of us here have.

A further incorrect example is when the video presenter points out the bearing shell sliding radially and axial in the rod bearing retainer. The shell bearings are manufactured with anti-rotation notches at the half joint that lock the bearing shell into the rod bearing retainer. The anti-rotation notch most likely broke off and that is why he could slide the shell radially and axially. In fact when he shows us the same retainer and bearing shell from the opposite bank he could not slide the shell in the same as before since the anti-rotation notch was obviously in tact.

Yes indeed the video is a joke since it does not present anything about the failure other then well organized engine parts on a table.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0