09-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
12V is fine. You want to see around 12.5ish, but you won't have starting issues at 12.

I would check your ground cable (IBS cable sometimes causes issues like this) if the battery is fine.
I disagree. 12V sitting means you'll be lucky to see 11.5V during cranking. 11.5V isn't going to turn over a V8, even a small V8 like ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
well thats the thing this is my daily driver, granted last weekend I didnt drive at all but cmon now, it only sat for 2 days!! I have a feeling this thing needs to be replaced.

Consensus seems my buddy was right and my battery is low. How do you do check parasitic draw??

Thats a good idea on the load test, i will try that this weekend before it goes to the stealer.

The 12V result was after driving it one day, so Im assuming when I had problems in the morning it was lower than that. But this is assumptions.
Also doesnt explain how after taking a 30 min break this thing fired right up.. which leads me to my next quesiton on the cable you mentioned.
What is the IBS cable? where is it located? in the rear??
I agree, I think you have a dead cell or two. Especially if it died over the course of a weekend. How old is the car? For some reason German cars tend to chew up batteries. And when they die it's all of a sudden. It's weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Hook your multi-meter up in series with your battery connection to the car and read the amps being drawn through it when the car is off.
Exactly. It's very easy to do but if the battery is totally dead you may have to charge or replace it first or the reading might not be accurate.
Appreciate 0