11-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #509
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousm3 View Post
You're almost 100% right here which is why no one complains about the 335i being FI.

But don't lessen the negatives FI systems inherently have.
1) they add weight
2) they add complexity
3) Always going to have lag
4) higher operating temps

Give me the choice of FI or NA on a performance car and IMO NA wins out.
Please let me counter this.

1/ the weight........yes they add a bit of weight, approximately 20Kg depending of configuration and all in the engine bay. Now on the track in the hands of a professional that will show ever so slightly in cornering ability, but in the hands of the rest it will go by unnoticed. Oh I forgot, everyone here is a professional.

2/ Complexity.........yes they are more complex but counter this by being less highly stressed due to less revs.

3/ Lag..........again it's an over played thing by people. On the track it can be an issue but in 99% of situations you should already be on the throttle on entering a corner to balance the chassis so the lag isn't there. On the road you will notice lag more but with the improvement seen in recent years and my own experience with some of the best examples I say it's not an issue anymore.

4/Heat.........this is the one thing that can't be tossed aside like the rest, heat is a problem but until you really up the gain on the engine (i.e. tune it from stock) then they will suffer zero problems. That's what all that hot weather testing in deserts is for.

If you prefer N/A then look else where, especially if the product comes from Europe because we here are committed to lowering the CO2 levels and the only way to achieve this is through the adoption of advanced technologies of which FI is one of them.
Appreciate 0