06-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
Well I have had my car now for a week and I must say that the base stereo is more than fine for the average ear. I played the bass guitar for 12 years and have spent many hours in a recording studio, so I think my ear is probably above average. I have to say that, although I have not hear the upgraded stereo, I can't imagine the sound is $1900 apart. For those on the fence, if you aren't insanely anal about your music, you will find the base stereo perfect. The speed of the ipod is a little slow so I think I may try a flash card.....
I used to have a recording studio in my basement and I've played guitar for 17 years. I think my ear is pretty good. I listened to both the base stereo and the upgraded stereo. In my opinion neither one is great, both are decent. The upgrade is definitely not $1,900 better in my opinion at all, it's only slightly better and to most people probably not even noticeable. What I do find funny is the people who spend extra money for a good stereo then play MP3s on it. That's a waste if you ask me because MP3s have horrible sound. A better stereo only makes a poor format sound worse.