02-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #152
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Sorry. The discussion was around the relative merits of the M3 vs Vette engines, and you said that the M3 engine had an rpm advantage. In my opinion, that isn't an advantage in any way that I can see, and apparently you now agree.

We're good.

Bruce
Bruce what the heck am I missing when you agreed with some (and disagreed with other) points on my list which provided advantages (in general) of high rpm engines? My review of our discussion reveals we were talking both about the specific comparison of the Vette vs. M3 engine as well as the generalities of a "high rpm design" vs. "lower rpm design". I certainly do not agree (concede) with you that there is no advantage whatsoever for the M3 design in comparing the Vette and M3 engines. Of course you must compare engines and redlines and tranmissions as matched sets which surely complicates matters. Drop the Vette engine in the M3 without changing the transmission and you have a car with a top speed less than 130 mph. How about this basic observation of the performance obtained by the systems, rather than the engines purely in isolation:

Performance tests show very closely matched acceleration figures for the cars. The M3 accomplishes this with more weight, less power, less torque and a substantially worse power to weight ratio. Could there be some advantage of the high rpm design linked to an appropriately matched transmission that contributes to making the car a much closer competitor that one might guess.

Is there some reason that F1 cars do not use relatively low rpm designs? If such designs were better in all regards as it seems to be your contention then surely such "technology" would be used in such cars. Sure neither a Vette nor M3 is as purpose built as an F1 car but all purport to offer one of the same clear and ultimate goals - very fast around a track.

P.S. My take on the hp per liter thing is clear (or I'll make it clear now). High hp/l is a technical achievement and engineering advantage that may or may not always translate to a concrete/real world advantage in comparison with a lower hp/l design implemented in a properly designed and matched system.
Appreciate 0