Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tournapart View Post
I appreciate everyone's input, this will not be a track car (save for the occasional club meet). Its really more about the environment it is in 6 months out of the year. Its Hot as f**k in Arizona in the summer time, I really want something that will just assist in the preservation of the engine at higher ambient temps. I am not adding more boost, just want some engine security

My only issue with intercoolers are in this application (remember, not a track car) is heat soak and added lag. Intercoolers will heat soak just as much as everything else in the engine bay when the car is not moving. It will still take a bit if time for it to cool even at freeway speeds. In that application I would assume it could actually make the IAT's hotter for a small period of time.

I do understand that the water/meth kit would only kick on under boost, but I still feel that it would give a much more direct drop in temperature than waiting for the intercooler to cool off to where it is in a beneficial state again (in my scenario given above)

E85 would be a great alternative if I actually had plentiful access to it, its around, but not convenient, much like higher octane fuels.

Any other thoughts? I do realize that maintaining cooling while immobile is a very complex issue to address, so, I do really appreciate anything else anyone has to offer advise or experience wise.

Tom, thanks again for all of the info you shared.
Charge temps drop almost instantly once the car is moving on an intercooled setup, we can see it on the dyno and/or Awron display to verify.

Replied to your PM this morning, let me know if you have any further questions.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0