09-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #28
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Look, despite being a big BMW fan (really of Ms only). I think I remain open, critical, fair and objective. My posts speak for themselves on this point. My seriousness just comes from frustration in this wait as well as my academic focus in science and math. Combine that with a love of cars and speed and I think my "seriousness" is probably fairly normal. Furthermore, I am not blindly brand loyal (not sure if that little jab was directed at me or others here) I am loyal to a brand that has never disappointed in delivering incredible performance and compromise at a fair value. Why wouldn't I be loyal to that?

I do not find it fulfilling to constantly argue with those that do not follow "the BMW gospel". I just like to post based on facts and evidence and dislike posts about concrete issues such as certain performance metrics which are guided by opinion with not much factual basis. Heck if you want to talk about body styles, interior appearance, or any other aesthetic issues you clearly need no data, one's opinion is all that is required.

OK last but not least, "The M simply is not as focused a sports car as the 911S; and it's not meant to be."

I was initially going to agree with you here and do agree to some extent but will also take some issue as well. Just because the car will probably be more comfortable and heavier than a 911S that does not make it intrinsically less of a true sports car. Clearly the new M is getting the label as a GT not a sports coupe. But heck for that matter with the amount of luxury and comfort and everyday driveability present in the 911 is it not also really a GT? What if you had a car identical to a 911 but with 4 seats (I know probably impossible, but just for the sake of argument). If the M3 outperforms the 911S in acceleration, braking and out laps it on most tracks then by what definition is it less of a focused sports car? Is it the number of seats, the trunk volume, the steering feel, etc.? Perhaps only Lotus owners can call a 911 a GT and not really a focused sports coupe? Perhaps this is simply a question of semantics...

I will say that I think we have found some common ground. I agree with what you say in your last paragraph as I do like to judge cars on their results not the recipe. My point -which I know you understand- is that the M3 has more hurdles to overcome because it has to satisfy a much broader audience. (And, yes I would agree that if the M achieves these goals while being a four seat GT car, then BMW deserves a lot of credit.)

I am just giving my opinion based on what we all know about these cars and cars in general. I do think that the M will be very close to the 997S's lap time. I am also impressed that the M appears to overtake it in most or all straight line speed contests. I mean, I love 911's (997S, turbo and GT3, that's it-what else is there; LOL.), but I also think that for the obscene amount of additional funds that it takes to acquire a new one -relative to a car like the M3- it (997S) should offer more power.
Appreciate 0