07-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
Get the RWD and get a winter tire/wheel package. I have had three RWD BMWs over the last 8 years and I never had a problem in the ice/snow with the correct rubber (I live in New England and the winters can get pretty nasty). I drove both the RWD and the xdrive cars when I was purchasing and IMO you give up too much performance with the xdrive for the couple months that you need it. I hate to say it but the xdrive felt like a rental compared to the RWD. And does the xdrive still have that awkward ride height? They always look funny to me because they sit so high off the ground. You can save the extra coin you would pay for the xdrive to get a decent winter wheel/tire set.

BTW I drove the last couple winters on all seasons with no problems (although I don't recommend it).
Hmm, yeah, you get worse winters than us here in Cincinnati. I just remember the last snow we had I got to a medium incline and there on the side of the road was a new 7 series, a 5 series and a Nissan Z. Of course, they may have all had performance tires...couldn't really tell. So do you just put the winter's on around late October and take them off in March?
Appreciate 0