View Single Post
      02-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #73
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris@kks-performance.com View Post
I ned tell some secrets about ECU flashing when I read here.

First of all I would like to excuse my bad english.

1. Is BMW able to notice a ECU reflash?

Yes definitly yes! Since they have all CAN BUS OBDII interfaces and the new generation of Bosch ECUs MSSxx. BMW is reading out the ECU every time and they are sending the data to a central BMW server where those data records are randomly checked. I would say about every 10th of it. And they can defenetly see the speedlimiter and some other stuff.

Only field reps have these interfaces. I have never heard of a single issues of an ECU on an NA car causing any issues. The members on the forum are referring to our BMW dealerships that service our cars, not BMW corporate centers. (who still do not read the actual files on the ECU, they normally just upload new firmware completely ignoring what was on the ECU to begin with....unless you are dealing with an N54 car...

2. dynos

They have to be done in 5th gear. Power loss on these kind of dynos you talk about are between 8-12%. A complete reflash has no speedlimiter. So if we go on the dyno we are turnig off the speed limiter before and after the reflash.

5th gear will overheat a car on a dyno......

3. bhp

We are working together with German ingeneurs from Bayrische Motorenwerke. And the highest numbers you can expect form a Dyno is +30PS (I don't know in bhp and torque). That is the highest number which can be constantly reproduced and it is made in Germany together with a former Alpina developer and he is working together with us. Those low 17ps you allways hear about are made with a old ECU flash tool. And those are especially sold outside Germany because you can't Do certain things like the speed limiter and it was the first one on the market. So sometimes it works and sometimes not.

We had to pay a whole lot of money to get that new ECU tool ready to work with. There are a few tuners who worked together to make it happen.

Everyone had to pay a lot of money for the new "tools" to get into both sides of the DME's since BMW decided to lock the BDM... You are correct a few companies were actually flashing half of the ECU and claiming to offer an entire ECU reflash, we offer a complete reflash of the DME which includes both sides of the ECU.
Notes above in red..
Appreciate 0