07-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
This is the only part that bothers me:

Seller says that it was traded in by a mechanic. So that makes me think that a mechanic picked it up in late 2010, couldn't fix it and traded it in. He only drove 5k on it in 7 months. Hmm.
Older Land/Range Rovers were the only cars aside from Yugo where parts would fall off as you drive. This isn't an old wives' tale either; I was driving behind a RR one day and the right rear taillight assembly fell out and banged around being held on by the wires. I pulled up next to the driver at the next light and he said both the driver's side taillight and passenger side foglight had fallen out previously.

Older British cars are the cheapest way to buy a money pit. Been there, done that.

Why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators.

How do you know when there is something wrong with your Jag? When all the instruments start working.

I owned two new Jags. Both of them had the hand brake cable rust in place during the winter when two years old. The fix (for 1800 Pounds) required dropping the axle. Needless to say I figured out that the brake would work twice if I soaked it in WD-40 - which I did to pass inspection while I waited on a rebuild part from the states.
Appreciate 0