1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I can tell you from first hand experience, a BBK is the single biggest confidence booster out there on a track. I was experiencing shuddering, shaking, pedal fade, complete lack of braking power on the OEM brakes when pushing on the track.......yeah, all those things don't help in the confidence department. Now I have a BBK on all four corners with Castrol SRF.......hehe.....It's hard to over-emphasize what a massive difference it is. No matter what lap #, no matter how hot, no matter how aggressively I brake, I can't overheat them. They just keep working----smooth as butter. Incredible! I was on that 100+ degree track at MFest last weekend in Vegas. The BBK was smooth as can be. Never ceases to amaze me.

My humble advice to you is to own both track and street pads. I know you're only planning on a couple events this year, but if you drive with any degree of aggressiveness, you will only get the full effect of the BBK with the proper pads. Having all the pistons to squeeze a pad against a rotor is great, and having brake fluid with a super high boiling point is great, but you really do need a pad compound that performs optimally in high heat to make it all come together, not one that barely survives it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I know I'll do pads. It's just a matter of time I need to get another liter of Castrol SRF and bleed the brakes a bit more. The thing stops great, but the pedal is a bit mushy when I initially step on it. My experience is sometimes it is like that until the pads are fully bedded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Did you see the threads about the finish coming off on these calipers?
And APEX wheels will fit over the ST calipers.

It's a slippery slope because to get the full effect of the track pads, you need R-compound (or close to it) tires too.

Yes, I saw the thread and monitored it closely. I am convinced when he had his car detailed they used a chemical on them. Too many other people are not having an issue with the finish. Worst case, I paint them red. I agree that with pads the next step is the tires. I'm going to run AD08's at the DE in June and see how it goes. I may have track pads and a different wheel/tire setup by the DE in September. I'm really wishing now that I had not bought the RAC RG63's and just done some sort of 18" wheel with RS3's like I had initially planned. I've considered selling the RAC's but I haven't seen any used Apex wheels for sale recently that I've wanted to jump on. Thought about doing some 18" Volk TE37sl's in white with red stickers, but not sure I want to deal with white wheels with track brake dust!
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0