12-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #68
philthy84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Why do you keep talking about assault rifles? This was done with a couple of handguns... Care to explain to me what your version of an assault rifle is?

FWIW, I'm not agreeing with arming teachers to the teeth, but disarming everyone isn't the answer either. How many guns did Timothy McVeigh use to kill 150+ people and injure almost 600?
Couldn't agree more.

Military, LEOs, and citizens with class 3 ATF license are for the most part the only ones who can LEGALLY posses assault weapons. To me assault weapons = fully automatic fire or burst fire, capable firearms.

People need to realize that these "assault rifles" portrayed in the media are just semi-automatic rifles with higher capacity mags then handguns but IMO a semi-auto rifle and semi-auto handgun can kill people at the same rate if both have an equal amount of bullets. There was a ban on these "assault weapons" in place before and studies have shown it did not make a significant difference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...lt_Weapons_Ban

The other poster who posted that this is combination of multiple problems and not just one solution can ever prevent tragedies like this from reoccurring or something worse is absolutely correct. We must look at EVERY angle not just one.
Appreciate 0