radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Great thread. I've done 6 track days to date and all within the past year. I always drove with MDM on and off the track. Last month I did my 5th and 6th track day and on that first day I started to notice that I was putting a whole lot of trust in MDM. I was pushing the car pretty hard in the corners knowing MDM would catch any oversteer...and it did flawlessly. When my last session was coming up for that day I decided I would give DSC-off a shot and just take things very slowly. While I was much slower around the course that last session, it was the most fun I've had yet because I knew it was me driving the car. Not only was it more rewarding, but I was getting much smoother knowing that there wasn't a system in place to save me from a spin. Driving with DSC-off made me a better driver.

A few days later I went to another track day at Laguna Seca. This time I had my mind set on sticking with DSC-off for the whole day. I want to become a better driver regardless of what car I drive. No I don't have any dreams of going pro or even competing. I just like challenging myself in anything I do and getting better at something is always rewarding in itself. Anyways, throughout the day I was pushing the car harder and harder and ended up running around 1:50 at laguna most of the day with DSC-off. Now that's not a time to be proud of, but I think it's decent for someone who's pretty new and getting the hang of driving without traction control. The M3 is very forgiving and feels very neutral so I think it's a great car to drive with DSC off and not be too intimidated. You just have to work your speed up slowly.

I know I can potentially shave at least 5 seconds off of my time so I signed up for Skip Barber's advanced car control class so I can get more seat time and confidence driving at the limits of grip. I also recommend reading the book "Going Faster - Mastering the Art of Race Driving". I just finished it and it really opened my eyes up to this awesome hobby.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0