View Single Post
      04-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Video cameras for security & liability

In the past, I've been the victim of a hit & run (car was parked). I've also been side swiped, which I feel wasn't my fault but my insurance company wouldn't fight it. In both of these cases, decent video footage could have made all the difference, and could easily more than pay for itself.

What I need is a low power, multi-camera system. It needs good low-light sensitivity, prerecord buffering, manual activation and accelerometer-based activation. And it needs to draw low enough power not to drain my battery overnight (maybe I'd get second battery to run it from, just in case).

I know it sounds pretty high-end, but there are analog cameras that are small, relatively inexpensive, have good low-light performance, and draw relatively little power. The trick is then to pair them with some kind of Car PC, laptop, tablet, etc. for the recording. I've seen little USB analog capture devices, but those could end up being the most power-thirsty part of the whole system.

But before I get too far down the homebrew/DIY route, can anyone recommend a prepackaged system that meets my needs? I think 2 cameras would be enough for most cases (I'd ideally like 4) and I'd be willing to accept self-contained cameras as opposed to an integrated multi-camera system.

Last edited by Drifty//; 04-07-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0