View Single Post
      09-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Really depends on which engine you like the best. For me, the 1M is my only car. I use it to drive to work, as well as on the track. For me the torque is pretty awesome, especially for driving around town. It is nice to be able to punch it at essentially any RPM and have the torque do it's magic. The S65, while an unbelievable engine lacks the torque you get with the 1M. So unless you are wringing it out to the high-RPM range on the way to the grocery store, you are not having that much fun in the car. I think the s65 is a better option for the track, but I really have not noticed any deficiencies on the track with the n54. Also, all the parts that have a propensity to fail on the N54 are covered under warranty for a longer period. For what it is worth I have not had anything go wrong on my 1M.

I cross-shopped the M3, and was very close to buying one. One of the reasons I didn't was because of the 6mt/dct predicament. I love driving a manual car, don't want to give that up quite yet. I feel the DCT is much better suited to the s65 than the 6mt is. So much easier to keep the engine in the higher rpm range than with the manual. The 1M just seemed like a perfect fit for me. I love going to the track, but I spend the vast majority of my time on the street. And for my style of driving the high-torque N54 was a better fit. Also, I like the light weight feel of the 1M, it weighs about 300 lbs less than a similar M3.

Once you drive both the decision will likely become clear. Either you like the s65 or prefer the low-weight, high-torque combination of the 1M. The rarity factor is a nice perk too. There isn't a wrong decision here though, both are fantastic cars each with their strong suits.
Appreciate 0