View Single Post
      01-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #12
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

So I'm back. Replaced my battery Friday after work, have been measuring the voltage at least one way of my commute every day. Drove home after work yesterday, parked for 2 hours then went out and drained some oil because my sensor was saying it was high. Get in my car to drive around, and upon starting I get the low battery discharge warning. Checked voltage running it was 13.7V, shut the vehicle off dropped below 12.2V and threw the low battery warning.... When driving(on throttle) the voltage would jump to ~14.2V.

After driving 10 minutes, and leaving the car sit it starts up without a hitch, checked the voltage and its measuring 14.8-15.4V, and after driving for 10 more mins and shutting the car off it measured ~13.5V. Both seem to be high numbers. Is it possible my car is not reading the correct voltage, thus throwing errors, seems like it might be a connection issue. But again not sure that's why I am here.

Or should i suspect that the alternator isn't charging the battery properly during operation? As I said I measure the voltage at least once daily since changing the battery. Haven't had an issue until last night. Car usually operates around 14.4V-14.6V.

Just for extra info, weather was into the 60s during the weekend. Was a little below freezing when starting up with the battery discharge message.

Again any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0