10-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #46
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Seriously, if you guys make a E9x non-M kit for the front axle (can't be that hard can it? just need a different mounting bracket). I would buy it in a heartbeat, considering you guys probably have the best support for aftermarket BBKs on this side of pond...
Thanks for the kind words. We have talked about looking at the 335 as a potential candidate for BBK's. If you lived in Charlotte NC I'd have you bring it by!

Creating new applications isn't as simple as it seems. You can't just slap the parts designed for one car onto another. Well, you actually can (and some manufacturers do), but there's a good chance the resulting product will be a steaming pile.

A lot of time and effort goes into a proper BBK design. The caliper brackets, disc hats, and brake lines are all custom designed for each car. We also have to use different piston and disc diameter combos for each application to make sure the brake torque output/balance is correct, and it integrates seamlessly with ABS, etc. In some cases the required components are in our parts bin. In other cases we need to have new components made, or we modify the ones we already have. This is all done by our engineering team in CAD, measurements taken on a Coordinate Measuring Machine, programming for CNC mills is required, etc. It's not an easy or cheap process to do well. Some companies slap a 'good enough' bunch of parts together, but that's not what we do or offer. When someone buys one of our kits, they know they're getting a proper, custom solution for their car that has had a ton of thought, effort, and time put into it.

Every once in a while we do get lucky though. A kit for one car may only require minor tweaks to integrate properly on a different car. We love that, but it rarely happens unfortunately!
Appreciate 0