03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #114
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
m5board is reporting that the new F10 M5 has a 7 speed DCT. Link. Now if that is indeed a really good torque converter/planetary automatic one might get confused and think it is a DCT. I doubt they also got confused between 7 and 8 gears though. Also I do think if you paid close attention to low speeds and "clutching" there would be no way to get confused. We will see.
We will see !!!

The car chris harris has driven was an prototype-car ... an it is no secret that the M-GmbH has build F10 M5s prototypes with M-DkG ... but to my infos they ruled out the DKG for the production-cars mostly because of cost issues ... the ZF 8-auto is much cheaper than the Getrag DKG ( and also because it was costly to modify the M-DKG so that it could withstand the torque from the M5 engine in longterm quality ) ... and electronic could make the ZF8 feel like an DKG.
It make no sence to bring the new M5 with an Auto and with the M-DKG ... and people who had seen the real productin-car quoted, that this has the ZF 8-gear Automatic ... and also remenber the interview with an M official not long ago, were he praises the ZF8 and how sporty it was ... but:

We will see !!!

I hope my infos are wrong ... not because I would buy an M5, but for the consequence this would have for the new F32 M3. With an Auto in the M5 I could live ... with an Auto in the M3 I couldnīt !!!

Last edited by Uli_HH; 03-14-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0