View Single Post
      03-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #111
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I don't think you have pushed the analogy far enough nor quite correctly. You did mold it perfectly to make your desired point though .
The analogy works fine. The term in question in our case happens "automatic", so it is a more general term, but the semantics of the debate are the same as in my hypothetical. The fact is that, as that term is applied to the behavior of a transmission, the DCT fits the definition to a tee, just like ATCE fits the definition of a V6.

Remember, I've already fully acknowledged that the DCT can be classed differently from a traditional planetary automatic. I've even said it makes sense to do this depending on context. The issue here is that you won't allow DCT to be classed in similar terms to any transmission that does not have two concentric clutches, regardless of whether a given term is suitably abstract such that the mechanical coupling and, in fact, the entire internals of the transmissions are not even in play.

Earlier you suggested the term automanual fit the DCT, right? Now, let's see if what I just said in the last sentence of that last paragraph is true or not. Here's the hypothesis:

Both the M-DCT and a BMW's Steptronic, a modern planetary transmission, are automanuals. True or false?

And you're answer to this is?

Quote:
What do we (all of us) say powers such vehicle - we just call an apple and apple and say "hybrid"! Both the drive and the drivetrain are specialized enough that they very appropriately deserve and get their own terms. Doing otherwise does a disservice to all, hyper-milers, eco trendy soccer moms or tech inclined early adopters alike.
Absolutely. So, let's say I design a new car and I power it by both an I4 diesel for efficiency and something with more performance - maybe a jet turbine engine. Either engine can power the car's wheels. The diesel is typically used at low speeds and when cruising on the highway. The turbine kicks in for extreme performance and acceleration. It's a pretty wild setup, you see.

Now, this is still a hybrid - because like you said in your post "Nonetheless, still 2 engines in parallel". The prius crowd doesn't like my car because it doesn't have an electric motor. But hey, I still got the diesel there, and it is very efficient. Doesn't matter to them though, they won't acknowledge that my new beast is a hybrid, and refuse to call it that.
Appreciate 0