View Single Post
      05-12-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
cnofar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Jerez Black/Fox Red

2022 CT4 Blackwing Review (current E90 M3 owner)

Hello Everyone,
My name is Christopher, and I was lucky enough to recently purchase a 2022 CT4V Blackwing (aka 4BW) locally, so I thought I'd give a very initial review. Currently my vehicle only has about 250 miles on it so it's not past the break in period yet.

I wanted to give my initial impressions. I'm a long time Honda and BMW nut, and Cadillac is brand new to me. I've owned 3 Honda S2000s (my favorite car to date), and various BMW M3s including a 2006 E46 M3 Competition Package, 2008 E90 M3 sedan (current), and 2015 F80 M3 sedan. Plus I've had a 2015 Subaru WRX STI, and some other cars sprinkled in for fun.

Initial driving review of the CT4V BW, I will say I think size wise it's closest to the E90 M3, but interior/features wise it compares best to the F80 M3. I know there's a lot of comparisons to the G80 M3 but typically those are Competition or all wheel drive spec cars and not a direct comparison. Plus the spec's G80 M3's are running typically $80-90K before markups. I am still on a wait list for G80 M3 and was told 6-12 months, maybe...

On to the review of the 4BW:
Interior fit and finish is very acceptable at this price range, but not over the top. I think the BMW's have somewhat nicer materials in the areas that aren't seen or admired as readily (e.g. lower dash can be leather covered, lower door cards are somewhat softer touch materials, adjustable center arm rests, etc). Infotainment is pretty easy to use. Very happy there are hard buttons for climate control, and touch screen is just for adjusting vehicle settings, navigation, radio, etc.

The interior cabin has a bit of a "closed in" feeling to it. The window sill is higher, the space a bit more tight than my M3's of various generations. It's not claustrophic by any means, but it is more open/airy in the BMW's for sure.

Shifter/linkage of the Tremec is much better than any of my prior M3's; much more direct acting. My only complaint is that the shifter position seems a bit too "rearward" spaced for me, but at 5 foot 7 inches I sit somewhat close to the wheel for comfort so that's probably just due to my seating position.

Trunk room is great, very good opening but the sill is a bit high. Haven't really had a change to use the trunk much though.

Front seats are quite comfortable given their aggressive bolstering that can be adjusted in lumbar and thigh supports. Very comfortable indeed. Rear seat room compares best to my E90 M3; it's not great, not horrible, just adequate. I'm 5 foot 7 inches and I can sit behind my driver's seat in the 4BW with more than adequate knee and head room; it's just the ingress/egress is a bit tight but do-able.

I do wish there was more rear seat room in the 4BW for child seats, but I was unwilling to spend more to get a CT5V Blackwing, especially with dealer markups. I have two young children ages 4 and 1.5 years old. I have two forward facing child seats in the 4BW, and I can easily have my kids seated with adequate leg room, even with the front seats set to my wife's and I preferences. I did put seat back protectors on the rear seats, and back of the front seats which I highly recommend (I've done this in all my M3's). If you have a rear-facing child seat this will significantly compromise front seat room in the 4BW (similar to my E90 and F80 M3's), so that's something to consider.

I hope to have more updated reviews in the coming months, especially after break in mileage is completed and I can finally rev the car! Plus I will be comparing/contrasting to my E90 M3 along the way.

Best Regards,
Christopher

Last edited by cnofar; 06-28-2022 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 3
///Mobbin1478.00
akkando5869.00
414bhp164.50