View Single Post
      07-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #85
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Thx for the perspective. Also, ppl fail to consider that the resale value of Porsches is much higher, so if you plan to sell the car eventually, your total cost of ownership may not be as high as you think given your exit will have a higher value % wise vs your purchase price.

As for people who said that the P-cars and M's aren't cross-shopped, I actually don't think this to be the case for older BMW M3/M5 owners (35-40+) (as confirmed by the GT3 guys coming from M3s does not surprise me at all). I would have gone Porsche if I didn't have kids and once they are older, I probably will given the direction BMW is going in. I actually have a friend who had a GT3 and sold it and got a 3 series 335 because of the kids/practicality issue and the GT3 on Bay Area roads is a terrible daily driver and he had it damaged while parking several times. With the M3, its the most refined, sports car like 4 passenger sedan available today -- it's not a sports car, but a sedan that's very capable and that's something that M3 owners should realize.

As far as on the track, I've only seen problems with 997 and earlier TTs with respect to heat issues after several laps. But the flat-6 engines seem pretty bulletproof.
An m3 and a 991 are not natural competitors and are not remotely in the same price class. When you buy an m3, you are buying a great car - but a car with the compromises inherent in a 3-series sedan base. You might as well compare it to an r8 or GTR.

Could I afford a 991? Yes, I suppose so - but it would not be a responsible decision at this point in my life. But I don't fool myself into thinking that I bought something similar. Accept the m3 for what it is - the greatest sports sedan ever made.
Appreciate 0