View Single Post
      02-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #302
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I strongly disagree. The only reason we can say gearing "does not matter" is because the OEMs have already chosen "the right gearing". Also performance is much more than "at an instant".

I suppose you can also tell the enormous community of drivetrain engineers at all of the OEMs that for performance that gearing doesn't matter .
Ohferchrissake. Do you not have a clue as to what "at any given instant" actually means?

Furthermore, OEM gearing has absolutely nothing to do with it.
My point was and is that power to weight wins, either for this instant, or over a longer stretch. As long as the two cars start side by side at the same speed, of course.

Doesn't matter if one car is at 6800 in whatever gear while the other car is at 8300 in another gear, as long as they're side by side and the other factors just mentioned by MVF4Rrider (and myself) are similar. The better power-to-weight car will begin to pull away immediately.

Over some distance like a quarter mile, the car that makes the best power to weight over that distance (and time span) will tend to win. Obviously, gearing and gear spacing now get important because they will change average power over that distance. Yeah, it's a simplification, but you get my drift.

You agree with this. You have always agreed with this - because it's clearly true. You have just been "discussing" this with pbonsalb, trying to help him see the light (which he probably never will). Why switch now?

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 02-27-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0