View Single Post
      02-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #297
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Without rancor, I hope you relaize that when I say (as I did) that power and weight are all you need to know at any given instant, your comment is not needed.
Then you're both wrong, or perhaps guilty of being too simple. Traction is very important as so is aerodynamics. Weight is less important as speeds increase, which is where the importance of aero takes over. BMW has actually done some interesting things with aero on the 1M to decrease turbulence around the wheels. It shows they're paying attention. Back to the "acceleration" quest, it's really so one dimensional it's a shame it gets such attention. I've enjoyed BMWs since the 70s and to me they've always been about cornering and torque at high rpms. Never the all-out quickest on the road, but always with the ability to drive very fast for a long period of time without bad things happening. The turbos are awful at high rpms so it goes against what I like about BMW motorcars. Hopefully BMW will do better with subsequent generations of turbo cars. And perhaps going against the grain, I don't think an engine needs to scream at 8,000+ rpms to be great. I like that they can but I don't visit 8,000 rpms with any great frequency day to day. But when I do, it's generally rewarding (unlike a 335i at redline).