View Single Post
      07-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #41
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

footie, gbb:

Look guys, calm down, I don't think the M3 is faster or a better sports car than the GT3, GT-R or Z06 for that matter. The M3 is all about a lot of compromise and it has gone a long way from its original roots as a very track focused production car. You can take magazine tests with a grain of salt or not. We all tend to praise the tests we agree with and minimize the ones we do not agree with. The facts remain that as an ALL AROUND and everyday driver the M3 has unseated some very mighty vehicles and not just in the US. It has done so not because of its raw performance numbers but because of its combination of good manners while still being very fun and rewarding to a skilled driver, while also offering "the finest V8 outside of Maranello". Footie: do recall a German magazine gave the title to the M3 over the GT3 as well (or was it over the 997TT?). Lastly I am not much of an R8 fan at all. The M3 is absolutely neck and neck with it pure performance wise on all but a few select tracks. Not to mention that is gets completely hosed when you factor in price to performance... Those are the facts of M3 vs. R8.

One more "lastly", I guess: gbb: It all comes down to what you consider competitors. As I have stated a million times I don't consider the Z06 and GT-R to be M3 competitors, if YOU do then the M3 is clearly not the fastest in class. However, among the RS4, C63 AMG, IS-F and some various Astons and Jags, I consider the M3 best in class, as does the vast majority of the motoring press.
Appreciate 0