View Single Post
      09-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #94
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post
RG: In your original M5 board teardown thread, it says the Carillo rods were the same thickness as the S65 rods and they were only reground for the specifics of the stroker build. Nothing was said about only having a .003" side clearance.

If the standard side float is deemed as being too little, wouldn't Carillo make their rods thinner?
BMRLVR already addressed that topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Snow
Did Van Dyne say at the time that this would cause a problem on a stock engine?
I don't remember if we discussed that.

Quote:
Anyway. I have done some more accurate measurements of both the red and blue bearings and have found them both to be almost exactly the same size! This must mean the discrepancy between the two must be down to material softness.

Measuring a soft bearing is difficult with a mic of any sort. I measured the same bearings with a mic and found them to be different.

To get an exact no quibble size, I set up a reference grade 2mm slip gauge at 20 degrees C.
Quote:
Did you see the pics? That's a 2mm reference slip gauge. It's a far more accurate way of measuring shells than using a mic.

My money is on both bearing being made of different material, hence the colour designations.
You bring up a good point about bearing material and softness. Our micrometer is a ratchet type with 0.001mm resolution. And unless it's misused, the ratchet micrometer would prevent pressing into the surface of the bearing during measurements.

At the end of the day, the discussion of bearing thickness seems academic because the measurements aren't used to calculate bearing clearance. The only thing that matters is the clearance between the rod+bearing bore and the rod journal.

Regardless, after making the bearing thickness measurements, we also placed red+red into a connecting rod, and torqued them before making proper bore/clearance measurements. This information was originally posted here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=107

For red+blue: 2.0483
For red+red: 2.0486
Difference: 0.00030

Notice that difference matches our bearing thickness measurements quite well.

BTW, lots of things affect bearing clearance, not just bearing thickness. Did you also measure this at the same time?

Name:  bearing.jpg
Views: 3110
Size:  142.1 KB
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50