View Single Post
      10-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

E90 M3 6MT MFactory Dry Carbon Driveshaft Review

Initial Thoughts

This isn't the first product I purchased from MFactory. Before, I had purchased their helical LSD for my E90 6MT 330i along with their diff rebuild service for a 3.64 FD diff I had sourced from an AT 330i. I was very pleased with their customer service, quality of the product, and the gap they are filling in the automotive aftermarket, which is affordable high quality drivetrain components.

So when they announced they had developed a DRY carbon fiber driveshaft for our cars, I held my breath and was one of the first to try it out in North America.

Installation

I had the driveshaft installed at the same time I had TMS rear subframe bushings and Delrin diff bushings done. My installer Performance Eurowerks noted that it's good I paired the install with the bushings in the rear, because it was necessary for the diff to come out to install the driveshaft.

First 200 miles Impressions

Having had a Z32 300zx TT with an aluminum 1 pc driveshaft, I already knew what benefits could be had by lightening up the driveline.

Engine/throttle response is greatly improved. This resulted in feeling that the car moves through the rev range noticeably quicker now. Especially down low, it no longer feels like the engine is "winding" up, it pulls through the rev band much more effortlessly. The clutch also sticks less from what I believe is the driveline binding less now that the driveshaft is 1pc vs 2pc. I live in downtown Chicago, and the 6MT E90/2 is an awful city car, but this modification made the experience of driving in the city much better.

As far as NVH, I had the solid and delrin rear bushings done at the same time, so I can't accurately attribute how much NVH was added from just the driveshaft. I haven't ridden in other cars where the bushings were done, but based on the reviews I've read, I don't believe the driveshaft added much if any on top. Ideally, a well constructed CF driveshaft should actually reduce NVH.. The car is my daily driver, and it has not been compromised at all in that aspect. I've also driven the car up to 140 mph to make sure it wouldn't vibrate at high speeds, and the driveshaft performs flawlessly!

Pics below taken by my installer Performance Eurowerks

2008 SS E90 M3 6MT. Alex@Alpine Stage 2 tune, RPI X pipe, HRE 540, MFactory Dry Carbon DS, Swift Springs, Ultimate Clutch Pedal, Do88 Engine Oil Cooler, TMS Subframe Bushings, TMS Delrin Diff Bushings

Last edited by dragonsi; 10-06-2016 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 4
e92zero212.00
KRZ323.00
///Mobbin1478.00