View Single Post
      04-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #15
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I always add half a quart when it asks me for a full quart; that way I can always be sure I didn't put too much.
+1

Essentially: never add less than half a quart and never add more than half a quart. In other words, only ever add half a quart.

If you add more it might show the overfill warning and stress you (my display raises by 3 ticks if I add half a quart).

If you add less the system cannot tell that something has been added, because it does not know you opened the oil cap. It uses software to decide whether oil has been added or whether there is some temporary increase of oil volume due to dilution with petrol. The software is calibrated such that adding anything less than half a quart is likely to be misinterpreted as a dilution effect and shows no raise in the display. However, if the perceived dilution lasts long enough, the software will decide that oil has been added after all, and that is when your display goes up unexpectedly hours of driving after you added oil.

It all makes sense and you can work with it, unless the sensor fails of course...

Last edited by Candide13; 04-20-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0