05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #51
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
Dunno how much it matters to most people, but irrespective of driving feel (or lack thereof), whether one car has a nicer interior, or price there is one reason I would not get an S5: Audis seem to have pretty bad reliability in general.

The few people I've known that have had Audis have had them at the dealer almost as often as in their garages. Not that BMWs are great in that regard compared to say Lexus (and the 6 and 7 series seem to be pretty terrible), but from what I've seen Audi is noticeably worse. A few other data points (Consumer Reports, etc) seem to support this.

I'm sure plenty of people never have problems, but there are enough data points to keep me away.
Any car or car brand is only as good as the work carried out to fix the fault you came in to get repaired. I don't agree that Audis are any better or worse than BMW on this front, but my experience is based on an extremely good/great Audi dealer, if the dealer is rubbish then chances are you will have an awful ownership experience.

Most of the bad comments on this board and others seem to center on Audi of America so clearly Audi have a lot of work as a company to bring them up to the level that Europe enjoys.

As for Audi's reliability, well I can only speak from my personal experiences of owning 6 Audis, 4 BMWs, 4 Porsches and a other mix of other brands. The Porsches were completely problem free, with the Audis I suffered two problems, one being a rear shock knocking and a rattle behind the dash and only both occasions the faults were fixed swiftly and professionally, of the 4 BMWs I have had 3 with faults, in one it had 2 ABS sensor failures that again were fixed quickly, in another there was sunroof leak that took a total of 3 trips and a replaced roof cloth, while the final one is on going and it's with the M3 and it's troublesome gearbox glitches that after 2 trips and 2 upgrades is as bad as ever. I will say that the BMW dealers (two) have always been helpful and professional in much the same way as either the Porsche or Audi dealers have so maybe in my neck of the woods with a premium brand you really do get a premium standard of service.

My opinion is done blame the brand for the failings of their dealers. Best voice your complaints to Audi direct and hopefully they will listen and make changes promptly.
Appreciate 0