View Single Post
      11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #85
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I find high-revving NA engines a lot more fun to drive than torquey turbos. Nothing religious about it. I do agree that the 1M is a lot more fun to drive because of it's size, but calling the car light is a bit of an overstatement. Under 3000lbs is what I would consider light today. The M3 doesn't feel much heavier, it just feels a lot bigger. I'm a huge fan of the 1M though. If I were to buy today I'd want a 1M, but not for much more than MSRP that's for sure.

Everyone spends so much energy arguing about which car performs better, but the fact is 95% of the owners of these cars (including me) can't drive either one more than 6/10th of what these cars are capable of on the track. I've had much slower cars pass me at the track and I've passed much faster cars. Unless you have a ton of experience like M3 Adjustor or Advevo, neither car will make you faster where it counts.
Agreed with the exception of the topic of weight. Sure, 32xx lbs. may not place a 1M in the "extreme lightweight" category, however, at about 4-500 lbs. lighter than the M3 it DOES feel much lighter and nimbler, also contributed by the shorter wheelbase. I'm sorry but if the 1M (or any 1 series for that matter) doesn't feel much lighter/nimbler to you, you may be experiencing some sensory issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Oh I know, I believe it. It's just that it's definitely an M3 forum, so trying to convince people your car is better, even if it is, is going to be like beating your head against a wall

FWIW, I like the 1M, it's just that I couldn't wait and wanted the M3
Again, that was not the purpose of this thread per OP, and no one tried to convince anyone of anything - not sure where you're getting this from.

Also, way way back when I ordered my 1M and the allocation game was running (before I was guaranteed a car), in the middle of my frustration I considered the possibility of an e92 M3 as a second option (yes the M3 comes second in preference for me), so I did something that I ended up regretting shortly after: I started a thread very similar to this one, and instead of getting anything positive out of it, all I got was a bunch of "I can't believe you're telling us you prefer the 1M over the M3" responses. Very stupid/immature if you asked me....bunch of sensitive people.

Anyway, the end. OP has purchased a car
Appreciate 0