View Single Post
      04-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Rumor has it that the units total dry capacity is ~9.5l.
I could bet my house that rumor is wrong man . You'd have all gears submerged in fluid if that was the case. The Getrag M3 manual tranny only holds 2-1/4 after draining it bone dry. The DCT unit is about the same size, and does NOT have a converter, so when fluid doesn't drain out anymore, it's empty as well. And if shop cycled the pump, it pretty much got out everything, although there's very little fluid in the lines and cooler anyway.

I'm sure if you post on the tech section the acutal capacity of the DCT from the service manual, a tech should respond quickly. Even 5L is a lot, so I don't expect any more than that. I'd wait until 20K or so, since that fluid is not cheap, but you did the right thing; fluid is a lot cheaper than a new transmission (or a rebuilt one). By changing it frequently, there's no need to get every drop out IMO, since fluid is still relatively fresh. Cheap insurance. And remember DCTs contaminate fluid with clutch wear, so color alone is not a determining factor of oil condition. You should have taken a sample to have a better idea where you stand. Take care.
Appreciate 0