11-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #20
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
Just saw this in the X6 thread...

"According to my local dealer, the U.S. WILL get the 3 liter tt engine for the X6 3.0si. This is the same award winning inline 6 cylinder as in the 335 and the 535. Additionally, the V8 tt will be a new 4.4L tt engine. The car is totally designed for intercoolers, so it's nice to get two variants with turbos."

If the X6 gets a 4.4L Twin Turbo, what exactly will stop BMW from dropping it into a 2009/2010 MY M3?

Yes, I know I have brought up a similar thread previously, but sounds like more fact than fiction day by day. As the horsepower and sales wars heat up, BMW may have their hand forced on this one.

You need to understand BMW's motivations for the M engines. You will only see a turbo motor in a M car if the F1A adopts turbos in Formula 1 otherwise the M cars will continue to focus on high revs and naturally aspirated engines (and reducing the weight of the cars).

That V8TT is a total mismatch of the M philosophy today.....and you won't see it in an M3 anytime soon. I will put money behind my words.