View Single Post
      01-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #77
V8convert
Private
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the perfect V8

I have. Short testdrive of both

++
The TTS was more fun. It felt quicker on twisty B roads and there was more feedback through the chassis. The turbos hit you in the face at WOT but there was some lag. Low seeting position. small and agile feel. Fun without the need to have the back out.

--
Turbo lag (but relatively minor)
NUMB steering....for me this ruled it out.
Potential to get bored of the turbo BOOST because there wasnt that much left at the top end. But by that time you are way above speed limits anyway.

The M3 had better steering but was much less exhilerating at normal speeds. Felt heavy and lacking the turbo boost at road speeds and during my testdrive I only really got to flex the motor to 8000 rpm maybe twice due to speed limits (which i went over but still 90mph+ before it screams) Huge fun at the top rpms but im starting to think this is a flawed concept for a road car. Think of the roads you drive....Is there potential there to rev the motor to 8k, change gear then unwind the motor again before you run out of road?
Really the M3 is a bit like a caged animal. Im sure it would absolutly FLY and be super fun at the track...but its legs are too long for most day to day driving to explore its potential. A bit like a track runner playing musical chairs, he's prob still gonna win but its frustrating given his potential.

If you dont need the extra seats...testdrive a facelift Cayman S, or wait for the TTRS (which by insider accounts is gonna move the game up) or wait for the RS5 to compare.

Then again life is short. Note also people tend to like the M3 more with extended testdrives and long term tests.
Appreciate 0