09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #248
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
That IS a lot of money for a catless no resonator x pipe.

Ok, first of all, if there are any companies out there that ACTUALLY do R&D and spend the time and money on the products they make, Dinan and Akrapovic are probably two of the top ones, at least as far as our M3s go.

Secondly, the Dinan x pipe is not only made in the US, it features larger piping and 4 very hefty resonators (i.e more material and more labor). That isnt to say its not overpriced, because it is! 2700 plus shipping, tax etc make it almost 3K and thats quite a lot for SS piping.

No offense to MRF, but they are selling a product with no cats, no resonators, just piping with an X for 2K! Seriously, that x pipe will not make any more appreciable power over an ebay x pipe that sells for 500.

I also have a mastermind race x pipe sitting in my garage, and its also catless with no resonators, but new its only 1350 and is almost the exact same pipe as the MRF. Plus look at prices of other catless no resonator x pipes, show me one, other than the GT4 which sells for 2K?

You are comparing apples to oranges though. The Dinan is larger piping and has 4 large resonators which all add weight of which makes no difference. The mid range of this x pipe is phenomenal. Ive run several x pipes and the dinan, while yes, overpriced, is def worth having. Plus ive run catless no resonator x pipes and the rasp they produce sounds cheap and gets very annoying. Unbecoming of a car of this stature.

Plus, the dinan is rare and will always be sought after because of who makes it and what is it and thus retain value. I wont say what I got mine for but it was also a great price, better than the 20% off sale.

From what I've read from other owners and been told by Malek this pipe:

1. Has been build as a result of a lot of R&D and testing exclusively on the E9X M3.
2. It is also made in the USA, by hand, on a jig to eliminate deformation during welding.
3. Every single owner that has run it has claimed more power. Several have posted dyno to prove this gain over Akra (like this exact thread). You do not know how much more or less it makes than an ebay pipe and are only speculating.
4. SS321 (SS + Ti) is used and not SS304 like other x-pipe's
5. There are no proven gain's that can be attributed to the increase in the pipe diameter. You can get the same power give or take from another brand with 2.5" (or smaller .38" in Akra case)
6. If Dinan was a true race only pipe how can you claim that all the added weight is justified? Larger pipes that use the same header as stock? 4 heavy resonators really needed? I thought saving weight was the name of the game. 40 lbs to 19.6 lbs
7. connection points were designed to OEM standard to prevent leaking o ver time.

Listen, I agree 2k is a lot for a not catted non resonated x-pipe. Heck i even said so in the early pages on this thread! After learning more and talking with Malek I decided to give it a try and post my results and impressions for everyone to see on an NA car. If the gains Malek advertises at mid-range (30 WHP + 40 WTQ) are true this pipe will blow away the Dinan performance wise. I want to find out.

Dinan is my second choice as I really like all their parts but looking at their mid-section it just looks just like stock but with no cats. Larger piping is not giving the gains here, its the cat removal. If I go with Dinan it will be for quality of the product and sound as it pairs very well with many rear sections. There's a reason MRF and Gintani have seen the most gains. They have similar design traits which noticeably differ from OEM and tuners like Dinan.
Attached Images

Last edited by lsmkr01; 09-19-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0