View Single Post
      09-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #243
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
That's a lot of money for that x-pipe. What justifies that price tag?
That IS a lot of money for a catless no resonator x pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What justifies a $2600 Dinan x-pipe?
Ok, first of all, if there are any companies out there that ACTUALLY do R&D and spend the time and money on the products they make, Dinan and Akrapovic are probably two of the top ones, at least as far as our M3s go.

Secondly, the Dinan x pipe is not only made in the US, it features larger piping and 4 very hefty resonators (i.e more material and more labor). That isnt to say its not overpriced, because it is! 2700 plus shipping, tax etc make it almost 3K and thats quite a lot for SS piping.

No offense to MRF, but they are selling a product with no cats, no resonators, just piping with an X for 2K! Seriously, that x pipe will not make any more appreciable power over an ebay x pipe that sells for 500.

I also have a mastermind race x pipe sitting in my garage, and its also catless with no resonators, but new its only 1350 and is almost the exact same pipe as the MRF. Plus look at prices of other catless no resonator x pipes, show me one, other than the GT4 which sells for 2K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Yeah its definitely not cheap but I'm willing to give it a shot to see if it is what its advertised to be for NA cars. I was going to post dyno runs before and after as well as my honest driving impressions and confirm weight comparisons (OEM 40lbs - MRF 19.6lbs) to share with the board.

Posts #61,75 and 94 give more technical information. The wait has been going on over 2 months with no definite date set. I may end up taking advantage of the Dinan deal if nothing is set in stone by next week.

In your opinion why is Dinan worth 2700 if its the same weight basicly as OEM, OEM/Borla like merge section, increase pipe diameter while leaving headers unchanged? I'm in the market so these are legit questions I have so if you can help its appreciated. Warranty is not in the question here because its a race part.
You are comparing apples to oranges though. The Dinan is larger piping and has 4 large resonators which all add weight of which makes no difference. The mid range of this x pipe is phenomenal. Ive run several x pipes and the dinan, while yes, overpriced, is def worth having. Plus ive run catless no resonator x pipes and the rasp they produce sounds cheap and gets very annoying. Unbecoming of a car of this stature.

Plus, the dinan is rare and will always be sought after because of who makes it and what is it and thus retain value. I wont say what I got mine for but it was also a great price, better than the 20% off sale.
Appreciate 0