12-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #82
ProbyOne
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL / E93 M3 / 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
whats the difference? the shape looks the same either way. the point remains that turbo cars make much more average power throughout the powerband, not just at the very top end. we will see when the official tested numbers come out. but bmw themselves quotes huge increases in performance between this car and the e9x, and I believe that will materialize.

also comparing modded to stock and modded to modded muddies up the waters. its not like you wont be able to modify the s55 should you choose to.

See the two attached graphs to see what I mean. Colored in is the difference in average power under the curve between the f80 m3 and e92 and another with the n54 from the 1m vs a tuned e92 m3.

Clearly the s65 is badass, and I love it. But in terms of acceleration and power under the curve, its easy to see how the f80 m3 is superior.

I understand what you are showing and it's obvious that the new turbo engine will make more power under the curve.

With that said, it's a little misleading if you don't move the engine operating RPMs around a little on the graph, especially for the N54 vs. S65 picture. In other words, if you could show horsepower vs. road speed for the optimal gear it would give the best comparison. I know this is hard to do but it describes why the graphs are slightly misleading when comparing cars with different gearing and different engine operating RPMs.