View Single Post
      09-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #103
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Yes, correct. My indirect implication of your equation is what I wrote it. At very high rpm, if you are making very high horsepower, that means you are making high rpm torque. That is why most cars do not rev over 6800 - 7000 rpm since they are not built for that so their torque curves fall on their face thus negating the HP.

Terminology of "torque monster" is used generally for low end torque, which is a function of displacement of the engine since it is "the power the engine can generate effortlessly without doing much work". Much like, muscle cars are. In a sense, "effortless power" is what is synonymous with "torque monster".

A high revving engine needs to work hard to generate all the torque with the help of its "short midget" friends offering multiplication in its resultant force without compromising on speed range per gear due to the high redline (the gearbox).

A simple example is Porsche 911 997.2 GT3 that makes 317 ft-lbs of torque and 435 HP while the Corvette C6 Grand Sport makes 435 HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque. Both cars roughly weigh the same at 3300 lbs. Which car is faster? Ofcourse, the GT3, which can hit 11.8@ 118 mph in the 1/4 mile compared to 12.5@115 mph for the Corvette C6 GS due to its high redline and short gearing from any speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Isn't it HP = Torque * RPM?

I wouldn't say the M3's torque is monstrous but we do have the advantage of having all of our torque available over a very wide range.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 09-17-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0