07-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #18
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Pinging was driving me nuts after I filled up with Vortex98 recently. When it was down to a quarter tank, filled up with BP Ultimate, and the pinging is so much better.

I found the following info on another forum:
"Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels."

Can someone confirm if this is true?
This is really interesting, would be good if anyone had some further info, the findings so far seem consistent. Shell seems to be the worst and the car seems not to run as well on it, Caltex is mid way but more attractive due to the supermarket discounting at the moment, but BP seems to run the best, and constantly.
Before supercharging I was getting in the mid 12 litres per 100, since supercharging I'm only up to a consistent 13.2 litres per 100, hasn't changed in 4 months. After changing (for trial purposes) from a Gintani X pipe to a OE xipe witth primary cat delete, fuel economy is the same but there is a substantial power loss. Can't believe what a difference a good X pipe makes (both sound and power)
Appreciate 0