View Single Post
      08-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's pretty obvious (at least to me) that somethings under the hood already. Hearing Powerbeasts Dakar Yellow M3 at idle from across the garage was enough to know there was something special under there.

To me, I think it's best to stick with the whatever setup ESS has tried and tested. Not good to deviate from tested setups unless there is something that requires it. I assume you meant wastegate not wasted gate? Since it's a supercharged car, the blower is driven by the engine and not by a turbine, negating the use for a wastegate. A wastegate is used on turbo cars to regulate turbine speed, and thus to limit the amount of boost that the turbo is producing. A supercharger will make X boost at Y RPM since it's driven directly off the crankshaft and has no direct coorelation between exhaust flow and boost pressure.

You probably meant to refer to a blow-off or by-pass valve. I am not too familiar with ESS's hardware setup, only the software programming required to run a supercharger. The sound that you're probably chasing is the sound of a blow off valve, which is commonly used on turbo applications. The ESS S/C uses a by-pass valve, which recirculates the air back into the intake system instead of to atmosphere. Although you can definitely hear a bypass valve actuate (more pronounced at higher boost levels), it doesn't have that extremely loud "PSSSH" sound that a blow off valve does because it doesn't vent that air to atmosphere. Changing a car setup for a by-pass valve to a blow off valve is certainly not recommended as you can cause a number of issues related to air metering or expected absolute pressure.

On a Maf car yes it may cause driveability problems when venting to atmosphere. On our cars this doesn't matter as they're is no Maf sensor expecting to read that air. You can either vent it or recirculate it back into the intake. Theres also nothing wrong with changing the bov flange to run a diff valve
Appreciate 0