01-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
So I\'ve had my M3 since 2008 - but this is the first winter where I have driven it in the snow - have the 270M wheels and pilot alpin PA3 tires - we\'ve had at least 6\" of snow here in chi-town today - car handled pretty good considering the amount of snow weve had.

I definitely learned that disabling DSC gives way more control in such heavy snow!!

Anyone else in Midwest drive your m3\'s in heavy Midwest snow today? Observations...???
I drove mine in maybe 3-4" of snow in southern Ontario yesterday. First real winter-snow drive with the same tires as you but on 18" squared rims. Great tires in dry winter and minimal snow conditions.

My previous BMW's included 535xi, 328xiT and an X3. In comparative terms the M3 was fine - but not quite as confidence inspiring as those xDrive vehicles. But if I knew then what I know now - I would have gotten the non xDrive versions of the 535 with a good set of winter boots.

Main difference was having to be slightly more smooth and light on the throttle. But I was pretty impressed given the power and RWD.

I am glad however I have a MT. Made it easy to control slowing down using the clutch and engine braking - not so much the actual brakes, until the end.

For fun I tried it in an empty parking lot to see the limits, and the control nannies did quite a good job. Easy to catch the rear end sliding out with a blip on the throttle.

DSC off made it easier to get going for sure.

I suggest anyone who has not driven their M3 in the snow - take it to an empty parking lot and test the limits.

Actually my biggest fear driving in the snow were all the other knobs driving their minivans with all seasons running into the back of me!

Last edited by TTSam; 01-20-2012 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0