View Single Post
      08-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
So I ran into a problem this week with the M3. I have brought the car used from a NY dealer. The car had a light tint on the side and back windows. I didn't realize until I brought the car that NJ has a no tint law. Well, I realized after I had the car that the tints may be a problem (also reading on this forum - Fort Lee, Edgewater NJ cops are hard on tinted cars I hear).

So finally got my tags and went to a private state inspector to see if I can get my car inspection. The guy took a look and said "sorry charlie". Went to another guy and another. They all said "no". Sorry can't do it with that tint shade (seems if it was manufacturer grade or a bit lighter, maybe). They were all nice guys. We talked, shoot the shit. I offered everything I can think of:

- A little more money (is that illegal =)
- I would sign a wavier saying the tints were off and I put them on after he ok and inspected the car
- a pretty please with a cherry on top

All said no. They said it was not worth it, and the state was being hard on tinted cars with inspection.

So I had no choice but to take off the tints on the side doors (I have a coupe).

But the good news. I left the tints on the back window and back side windows and actually it doesn't look so bad. It helps that I have a black/black combo, so it doesn't show as much. But it was also cloudy today as well. Hopefully when I see it in the sun, it still looks ok.

I guess the summary of the story: Why is NJ so lame with tints? If a man wants to put some black tints on his black car (like it says in the constitution - ok maybe I'm pushing it) and make it look like his personal Knight Ridder...whats wrong with that?
Put the tints on and don't worry about it. I drive by cops every day, locals, Bergen County Police, Troopers and they don't bother me. Unless your driving like a clown, or the officer really has something stuck up his/hers you know what, their not going to pull you over solely for tints. I have no front plate on my car either and I got a ticket in Paramus on of all days Memorial Day. I didn't even bother showing any PBA cards, STFA triangle nothing. Unfortunately for me I didn't have a current insurance card with me because the one I had expired. The officer was in his 40s and only gave me a ticket for the front plate. I was respectful, and played it cool. I mean when he asked me where my front plate was I just told him simply I don't have one. I mean he obviously knows I'm driving a nice flashy expensive car and I didn't want one on and new the consequences of it. It was a $54 ticket and I paid it online. If you can afford the car you can afford a ticket like that. Only once did I get a ticket for tints in my life in my E46 M3 (Jet Black with 15% tint) and that was in Wall Township (a shore town coming home from Belmar). Actually then I didn't even have my license cause I lost my wallet the night before (was that hammered ). Again I was respectful and just played it straight no lies. The best time though was 2 Christmas ago when I was at Willowbrook Mall in my M3. I just get out of my M3 and a Passiac County Sheriff pulls next to me. He goes, "You know tints are illegal, you better get those off your car." My response " Yes officer." He then paused ,probably realizing what a fool he was having that conversation with me at Christmas time when I was going to the mall to buy gifts, and drove off. Needless to say the tints were left on the M3 until I traded it in for the C63 which has 35% tint all around except the windshield.
Appreciate 0