06-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

BMW gets inspiration from...Ford?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...rn-nav-in-cars

Quote:
"So much has changed over the last 10 years—over the last two years, let's face it," says Fran Dance, BMW's telematics services manager. "Ford's Sync changed the game." Before Sync arrived, Dance says that BMW primarily targeted OnStar's functionality. "We all have iPod integration, but Ford really brought telematics to the floor," Dance says. "They leveraged it. And I give [Ford CEO Alan] Mulally an incredible amount of credit for saying 'Look, this is the way that I can differentiate Ford.' It's caused us at BMW to say 'Wait a second, we've got the same bag of tricks.'"
And unrelated, but still freaking awesome:

Quote:
BMW is developing an ever-expanding online store of automotive apps—roadside assistance, for example, is already available. Another app lets drivers measure their car's g-forces and acceleration. Soon, BMW will have an app that can unlock your car's doors. Traffic jams can already be avoided thanks to the integration of traffic alerts and GPS navigation, and within two years, the navigation system will feature a Doppler radar overlay that will be able to route drivers around inclement weather.
Doppler radar overlay = badass. Seeing as the new 3er is predicted for 2012, it could potentially be an option. How cool of a feature would that be?

In my opinion, Ford makes it, but BMW does it better (I apologize for the fanboyism).
Appreciate 0