05-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #146
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now! View Post
Would you agree that a) heightened sensitivity is more important on the highway (especially with low traffic), and b) there's really no way the reactive speed of the radar detector is going to help you, given the very small amount of time required for a reading?
a) Yes. But not just low traffic. Some traffic is needed, even if it is so far ahead that it is out of sight.
b) Sometimes a second or two can be the difference you need. I'll gladly take that. Besides, if the radar is targeting someone else ahead and doesn't last long enough for the detector to detect, then you'll miss it. Reaction time does count.

Furthermore, the difference between the three best detectors and everything else is huge. Compared to cheap detectors, the performance is an order of magnitude difference.

Quote:
sensitivity should have reduced importance around town.
That true; but not of no importance.

Quote:
Regarding reaction speed (of the radar detector), even if it alerts in half the time of the normal detector, that still pales in comparison to the amount of time required for you to react, hit the brakes etc - vs. the very short time required for the radar to calculate.
See my answer to (b) above.

Quote:
So, is the benefit of heightened sensitivity mainly a highway thing? Wondering if I'm missing something.
Mainly, yes. But even in town, say at night, it comes into play. If a detector is sensitive enough to allow it to alert for someone being targeted way ahead of you then you have much more time to adjust. This is about the only defense you have for instant on type of radar operation. Lesser detectors will miss this, the better detectors won't.

Cheers.