Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
I read the manual twice. Never noticed this particular feature. I did read how in manual mode it won't shift for you unless it needs to do so to maintain a valid engine speed when decelerating. Didn't see anything about automatic down shifts which is why I was annoyed and quite frankly it is a poorly executed feature. I shouldn't have to focus on whether my throttle has clicked or not when deciding on how to shift gears. That is a useless input and manual mode should allow me to decide what gear I want.
You should have bought a 6MT... Starting to wonder if you're just trolling here to start yet another DCT vs. 6MT flame war... I found multiple instances in the manual where it says exactly what I described, so the fact that you didn't read thoroughly enough is obvious.

In Drive Mode:
Kickdown
For sudden acceleration maneuvers such as
passing, depress the accelerator past the resistance
point. This provides maximum acceleration.

Sport program and manual operation M/S:
Quick downshifting: Even in sequential mode,
you can skip over several gears in order to
achieve an optimum acceleration. To do so,
depress the accelerator past the resistance
point.

If I need to quickly accelerate, I'd much rather push the throttle down past the resistance point, flip the switch ONCE to downshift automatically to 2nd or 3rd or whatever gear it decides, instead of going one by one down to 2nd or 3rd from 7th. It has come in handy getting out of the way of morons stopped in the middle of the highway, or merging onto the highway from an on-ramp.