05-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
1 year and 13k miles later...(review)

Nearly a year ago I bought my first BMW, SSII M3 Sedan. I had a new baby daughter and wanted a 4d car but was drooling over the 5.0 Mustang that was due to come out. Since the Mustang was out of the question, I started shopping performance sedans and quickly chose the M3 after one test drive (the last test drive after many on my list - C63, S4, IS-F, 550i, A6).

When the M3 I ordered came in, I drove it every chance I could get. It was like I turned 16 all over again, looking for reasons to take it to the road. It wasn't just the performance, the DCT, the high rev V8, or the comfort... it was a feel I couldnt describe. It was tight, precise, responsive, and connected and the bulge on the hood that reminds you of the 8400rpm V8 waiting to be tapped. I gained a new found respect for the dreaded traction control I hated in just about every other car I've driven... MDM mode. MDM is far and away the best damn traction control I've ever experienced and it's saved me a couple of times in some 70mph downshifts in a curve. I can honestly say that every morning going to work I look at the car, smile, and have child like anticipation to drive it.

A few weeks ago my in-laws came in from Germany. My father-in-law builds A4's in Stuttgart and was rather disapointed when I passed on an S4 which I would have bought if the M3 wasn't an option due to finances. Anyway, since I didn't need to pick up my daughter from daycare I decided to drive my Shelby for a few weeks. Stepping into it for the first time was like getting into and old 69 muscle car. It felt more raw and basic, its power and torque is overwhelming but required more skill application to control. Handling, while still great, keeps you more alert. After the 3 week stretch I was able to fully appreciate the Shelby's power and performance, but I missed driving the M3. When I parked the Shelby and hopped back in, I came to the realization that it truely is the most impressive car experience I've had thus far.

I can say with no doubt in my mind the M3 is the best damn all around car that is truely the ultimate driving machine. That motto of the Ultimate Driving Machine may be most appreciated and understood by M3 owners. If I was going through puberty I'd have to keep a towl on the seat.
Appreciate 0