View Single Post
      04-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #985
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
people say that because in india 99% of curries dont actually have any cream added where butter chicken and tikka masala have. Its a lot spicier in india and if anything yogurt is used instead to cut the fat count.

I know in my house when we make any type of curry theres no cream/yogurt added into the dish. We do have yogurt on the side to cut the heat but thats in nearly every indian household. I know curry is a popular dish in UK but dont know to the extent of how its made over there. Also in india when you try to order chicken tikka masala off the menu its traditionally never offered at authentic restaurants. Its westernized like crazy. When I eat indian food out i enjoy the heavier cream based curries but at home I think the way my family makes it is soo much better
Yeah that makes sense.

It's like when people call fettucine alfredo an "american dish." In reality, fettucine alfredo is just a slightly modified version of a classic italian dish fettucine al burro e panna or pasta al burro e panna (literally translated as pasta with butter and cream).

The only difference is that the american interpretations often use overcooked noodles and the ratio of butter and cream is totally off.

The classic italian dish uses more butter than cream, whereas the americanized version often drowns the whole dish in cream.

Nevertheless, I'll still hear people incorrectly claim that fettucine "alfredo" isn't an italian dish. It is. It's just not called "alfredo" in italy, and it's poorly done. That doesn't make it an american dish.
Appreciate 0